Monday, March 22, 2010

Becoming holy

Francisco de Zurbarán. St. Francis Kneeling.

Every time I read the title to this post, I see "Becoming Holly". It sounds like I'm undergoing a major life change through surgery. But I'm having trouble thinking of a better title.

I've started reading "The Sacred Marriage" by Gary Thomas for the first time. While I'm only midway through the second chapter, I'm already amazed that I haven't read this before. It is amazing. So far his main premise has been that the function of marriage is not to make us happy (although that can be an awesome bonus), but rather marriage is designed to bring us closer to God; it is designed to make us holy.

As I progress through the book and learn more, I'll update on here. For now, as I examine my own marriage and consider how God is using it to make me holy, I can definitely see changes being made. If nothing else, marriage has forced me to confront the sin in my life. Having someone who lives with me and is constantly around me, forces my sin to surface and leaves me with no choice but to confront it and deal with it. Thankfully I have a wonderful wife who is very supportive of me during this holification (I made that word up) process.

And even though confronting sin is not always so much fun, I'm pretty sure that being made holy is much better than becoming holly.

No comments: