Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Missed Opportunity


I did a lot of walking today. 

That's a good beginning, don't you think? It leaves you wondering, does he normally not walk much? Why was he doing all this walking? And is it really significant? Lots of people walk. Why should I care?

Well, dear reader, read on to find the answers to your questions and so much more.

My dear, sweet wife got a phone call last night to babysit today out in Gilbert. I had a meeting scheduled a few blocks from our house later in the morning so she took the car and I walked. I was going to have her walk, since technically I scheduled my meeting before she was scheduled to babysit, but she offered to take care of Turkleton too, so I let her have the car.

Anyway, while I was out, a homeless person approached me for money while I was waiting at a crosswalk. I pulled out some money (more on that tomorrow) and gave it to him and conversed in some polite small talk, but tried to show that I was anxious to not miss my opportunity to cross the street. By the time there was an opening in the conversation, the "STOP" hand was flashing and I gave a silent sigh of frustration.

And then I caught myself, instead of seizing this wonderful opportunity to talk with this man, to engage him in meaningful conversation, instead of being enter-active, I threw it all away so I could get across the street faster. That's terrible. 

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, other than to say that I hope I've learned a valuable lesson. Opportunities abound, I just have to have eyes to see them.

No comments: