Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Bible winner



I recently bought the new English Standard Version Study Bible, it was World Magazine's"Book of the Year". It is phenomenal. 

The commentary is 2/3 of the the book. The introductions to the individual books are lengthy and detailed and help provide context and explore the content deeper. The verse commentaries are helpful and provide explanations in context with the rest of the Bible. The authors of the various commentaries also do an excellent job of not picking sides in controversial areas. They present the facts and tell which opinions are more widely held.

There are also many full color pictures and diagrams in the text. In my brief skimmings, I saw an excellent depiction of Solomon's Temple with a nice break-down of the temple articles. I'm sure there are many more to be found, but I haven't discovered them yet. 

With commentary by both Packer and Grudem, among many others, this is an excellent version. I highly recommend it.

No comments: