Thursday, July 09, 2009

Mr. Ben


I miss teaching. I really miss the interaction with the students every day. I really started to feel a sense of ownership towards my kids. I have found myself wondering how their next teacher is going to do. Is that person going to know them like I did? Are they going to care like I did? Are they going to give that little extra to make sure that the kids were pushed to learn as much as possible? I hope so.

One of the things I loved the most was the unpredictability of the kids. Every day was a new day, I never knew what they were going to think of next, or where there ambitions would take them. One day, one of my students decided she would be my secretary and subsequently screened everyone who came in the room and took notes on everything that would happen. Another one created a skee ball game out of classroom materials while waiting in line. One of my sixth graders spent an entire week trying to find her "angry face". She never did find it and had to settle for a mix of confused and puppy dog.

Teaching is a passion of mine, but for now it has to take a back seat to medicine. I'll be back though. One day, I will teach again and it will be a glorious day.

1 comment:

chloe said...

Ha ha, You were a great teacher Mr. Ben! We will miss you next year! Have a great time in Medical school!