Friday, May 27, 2005

Trapped in a Foreign Land

During this past school year, while attending Grand Canyon University, I worked in the University Writing Center. There I helped students write their papers by giving them advice, suggestions and doing some proofreading. Since I love reading and writing, it was a perfect job for me.

One evening during the second semester, a student came in with her paper. She asked me if I would read it over for her. While I was reading her report, she began sobbing quietly. I asked if she was okay, and she nodded yes and bravely attempted to stop crying. She lowered her head so I couldn't see her face. I don't like to pry into other peoples' lives since I know what it's like to have nosy people asking nosy questions. But I felt compelled to ask her if there was anything I could do for her. I put down her paper that I had been reading and gave her my full attention.

With tears in her eyes, she told me that she was a very long way from home and that she missed her family so much. She was frustrated being in another culture where she didn't speak the language perfectly and missed having the support of her family and friends. She had a lot to say, a lot of thoughts she needed to just verbalize so that they were no longer trapped inside her head. I just listened.

When she finished, I looked her straight in the eyes and told her that I would pray for her. I know that God is bigger than any problem, so I took it to him. By that small token, I indicated to her that I cared. She came back to me a couple more times throughout the year. She became my friend. It took almost nothing for me to show her that I cared, but now she calls me her "brother who she can depend on".

I hope I don't sound like a broken record, but I don't think I can stress this enough. People just want someone who cares. It doesn't take a lot of time or energy, just a little effort. And, it can make all the difference in a person's life.

No comments: