Monday, May 23, 2005

Where's the ball?

I have started working a second job. Two hours a day. Ten hours a week. Some days it feels like it is killing me and others I would put in all the free overtime I could. For two hours every day I work with a six year old girl who can barely talk, can't walk or stand up, and has the mentality of an 18-month old. We laugh together, she cries sometimes; we are learning all about eachother and are still trying to figure out who the other is. For better or worse, Emma is the new girl in my life.

Emma used to live in Turkey before she was adopted. Her story is a sad one but I won't go into much detail. To sum up, her parents were killed and she was mistreated by the orphanage. Now she is an 18 month old girl trapped in a six year old body.

Everyday we work hard at walking, talking correctly and behaving. I push her hard and there are many tears in our time together. The first day I was encouraged when she walked across a rug holding on to my hands for support. But I knew she could do more. The next day we walked around the whole house, still with her leaning on me for support. Besides the walking we read books, learn words and shapes, and practice simple motor skills.

Her vocabulary isn't big so when she does talk we discuss the same things every day. "Look at the green door." - "Yes Emma that's a nice door." - "Where's the ball?, where's... the... ball???" - "I dunno Emma, let's go look for it." And that is the extent of our chit chat for two hours. We talk about the green door and the ball. Mostly the ball. We will be walking around the room when out of nowhere she will look up at me and ask, "Where's the ball?" It's sad and adorable at the same time. She's six and that's all she can say.

On Saturday, it was a special session, I worked with her for only an hour. We walked around and around the basement of her house. When she does well, I praise her. Sometimes by clapping, but usually I give her a hug and tell her good job. Saturday I pushed her harder than usual, trying to get her to walk more on her own. Near the end of our time, after a particularly tearful and frustrating walk, I gave her a hug and told her good job. For the first time, she hugged me back. It wasn't much, but she actually reached her arm around me and gave me a little hug. I was so touched.

It's not easy. The progress is agonizingly slow. Emma can be difficult and downright frustrating at times. But when it all comes down to it, I love my job and God has given me a heart for that little girl. I may not be out saving the world, but I'm trying to make a difference in my little corner of it.

No comments: