Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I'm not a resident of Crazy Town, yet


When people ask me what my hobbies are, I really don't know what to tell them. I don't even really know what constitutes a hobby. In the interest of science, I decided to look it up. According to Webster.com a hobby is: "a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation."

This seems a little ambiguous. Under this definition, I have friends who have the hobby of myspace. Call me crazy, but I just refuse to call myspace a hobby. It's really more of a plague that some people seem to catch. Unplug the computer before you catch this dreadful disease. It consumes time and makes people put really idiotic things online. It ruins their lives. For the love of pete, just say no to myspace.

But I digress.

We are still working on what exactly a hobby is. I think a hobby is a mentally, physically or artistically constructive activity that occupies otherwise boring downtime.

Wow, that's pretty profound. Read over that again. Yup, that seems to be a really good definition. I should probably get into the dictionary business if this whole blog thing doesn't work out.

Back to me wondering if I actually have any hobbies. Since I have already finished one book this week and I am working furiously to finish my second before Friday, I would take a gander that reading might be one of them. I'm not sure if reading is a true hobby, but if it is, I'm in. I probably would have gone crazy long ago if not for the escape that I find in reading. My mom has this tote bag that says "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." I love books. They help me keep from going nuts. If it wasn't for books, I would need to go shopping for a new white jacket with extra long sleeves, if you know what I mean. So, in the name of preserving my sanity, I'm off to read some more.

No comments: