Monday, February 12, 2007

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y


So I got an informal offer to work for Macaroni Grill this past week. The restaurant is located in a nicer part of town and I would be put on a fast track to become a bartender. They also have a different philosophy concerning how best to care for the guests, a philosophy that I like better than Chili's. It's a pretty amazing offer, and I probably won't be taking it.

My choice has less to do with the fact that I will only be serving for another two and a half months and has more to do with loyalty. I don't know much about being a manager, but I know that I have been blessed with some amazing bosses. They have taken such good care of me as an employee, working with my schedule, treating me fairly and being very gracious and forgiving when I make mistakes. They make the work environment fun and have taken the time to get to know me and my wife and to make sure we feel special whenever we visit the restaurant.

Their kindness has transformed me from an employee into a LOYAL employee. That one little adjective makes all the difference. Because of that loyalty I am going to stick with them, knowing that I am treated well and I am important to them, rather than going to another job which may pay more but may or may not take care of me as well. That one little adjective means that I will go the extra mile when they ask me because I know that they will take care of me when I need that extra day off. That one little adjective means that I'm going to work just a little bit harder, even when no one is watching.

That one little adjective means that I'm going to be sticking around for a while.




No comments: