Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My first concert


This past semester I have been teaching strings to kindergarten through tenth grade. That's right, violin, viola, and cello skills are also part of my repertoire. From the end of January to last night, I have been instructing them in the ways of the musical artist. Over and over again I have drilled theory, composers, and music into their heads. They have spent the past three and a half months training, preparing, and studying to be concert performers.

Last night, my little padawans displayed their newfound talents magnificently. We started off the program with a rousing rendition of "Hot Cross Buns", that song that evokes memories of yesteryear. From there, "Merrily We Roll Along" and "Mozart Serenade" dazzled the audience and finished up the kindergarten through third grade class. The fourth through sixth graders rocked the house with "Classical Bash", a compilation of classical themes. And finally, my junior high and high school orchestra serenaded the audience with "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Autumn" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons

God really blessed me with a great first concert. The kids did an excellent job, and their parents seemed happy. But, for now, I think this will be my last concert as well.

No comments: