Sunday, June 05, 2005

Passions (But not the romantic, cheesy kind)

My passion is basketball. But not watching basketball, or memorizing stats, or reading about it. My passion is playing basketball. When I walk onto the court with that leather spheroid in my hand, I get euphoric. I feel alive. I don't know what it is about the game, but when I'm playing basketball, everything else fades away. It doesn't matter if I'm having a good week or the worst week of my life, when I play basketball, my worries disappear. I guess you could say it's my version of weed...

On to the real reason for posting. Finding out what a person's passion is can open up a world of opportunities for talking, witnessing and encouragement. If someone asked me about playing basketball and at least acted interested, I would talk forever. Some people show off their passion for all to see. I know a guy who love motorcycles. His office is filled with pictures of motorcycles, models of motorcycles and framed stories about motorcycles. It isn't hard to figure out where his passion lies. For others, like me for example, their passions aren't as obvious. In my room you won't find many things having to do with basketball. I don't talk a lot about it on my own. But if you try and find me between 4 and 6:30 every evening, I can tell you right now, look on the basketball court first.

Finding out what makes a person tick shows that you are interested in them. Remembering what their passion is and asking them about it shows that you care. Once a person feels comfortable sharing their passion with you, they will feel more comfortable talking about other things, like eternal issues, because they feel that you care enough to dig on a level deeper than the surface. This is also a great ministry opportunity. If you want to share your faith, relate it in some way to their passion. If you care, it will show and they will respond.

No comments: