Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Pickin' on my six-string

In a massive undertaking to surprise Jamie when she comes home from camp at the end of summer, I have started taking guitar lessons. For some reason I can't quite explain, Jamie is infatuated with the guitar. I imagine her dream guy could look like Frankenstein, smell like a sewer, talk like Michael Jackson and sing like William Hung, but as long as he played the guitar for her she wouldn't care.

Actually the real reason I'm learning guitar is for ministry purposes. It will come in very handy when leading Bible studies and on mission trips. Singing praise to God is a great way of uniting people. I'm excited to reach out to people through song. Hopefully God will bless this endeavor.

So far progress is slow. I enjoy it immensely but I get frustrated easily at my lack of ability. Last night I practiced until my fingers were numb, literally. I still can't transition smoothly between two chords. I have my second lesson ever on Thursday morning and hopefully things will start moving faster. Keep me in your prayers.

No comments: