Thursday, August 11, 2005

Planted and fertilized

I tend to be a long term kind of guy. I look at what I think will happen in the future and prepare for those circumstances. Too often I get ahead of myself. This summer is a perfect example of that.

This whole summer I have been eagerly anticipating the coming school year. I could barely contain my excitement at being an RA and the opportunities that go along with that for serving God. I was pumped up to be a Bible study leader and help guys grow in their faith. I had been so anxious for what God is going to do that I forgot that he was still at work in my life in the present and that I could serve him in the here and now.

It was great for me to be planning how to serve God in the future, but not at the cost of serving him right now. I get so caught up in future events and circumstances that I forget to strive for the kingdom in the present. If I truly believe the Bible (and I do) then I should know that God has me exactly in the right place in life to best serve him. And I should be making the most of every opportunity to do so. So here's a new resolution: to bloom wherever God plants me.

No comments: