Saturday, November 12, 2005

Hibernation station change of destination

Normally I don't post on the weekend, but I have been thinking a lot about getting married lately and I needed to get one of my concerns off of my chest and into cyber space. Growing up, family life got a little crazy at times, and when it did, I would just escape. I would find a nice spot (often the roof) away from all the craziness that was my family, grab a book and some snacks and be by myself until things settled down. When things get crazy here at school, with being an RA, a Bible study leader and all the other stuff I do, sometimes I just check out. I'll just go into my room, lock the door, turn up the music and read a good book, drop down on my knees and pray for a while or play a game on the computer; pretty much anything to help me relax and forget about the crazy world on the outside. When I'm overwhelmed, I shut myself away with lots of food and relax until things settle down. I'm a hibernater.

Well, I was talking with Chris Potts on Friday, and he was talking about one of the hardest things for him at the beginning of his marriage was that there was nowhere to run. He couldn't just check out for a little bit and then return to his wife. That scares me a little bit. I don't know how that will affect me. Will I go crazy? Will I find a different way to relax? I honestly have no idea. It's not that I'm worried about Jamie being my "ball and chain", I'm so excited to spend the rest of my life with her. But I do know that I won't be able to hibernate any more. I'm confident that God will help me, but at the same time it does pose an interesting problem. Well, here's to the next 26 weeks. Hopefully I'll get all of my hibernating out of the way by then.

No comments: