Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Arise my soul, arise

Today is picture Tuesday. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten. I have it posted below. I don't know if I'm the only one, but most days, when I get out of bed, thoughts of all I have to do immediately begin to race through my head. All the fears and inadequacies that were forgotten in the bliss of sleep come rising to the surface once again. My heart pounds and I once again wonder how I will ever make it through another day.

Today was no different from any other day for me. I woke up and my brain tried to kill me. I was overwhelmed within the two steps it takes to get to the sink to wash my face. I just sighed and leaned up against the wall. "God, can you help me?" I prayerfully pleaded. I have so much to do and things just keep piling up. After I got out of the shower, I sat down at my desk to have my quiet time. That's when it happened.

Here's what I read today in my devotions: "From the minute you wake up, your mind floods with thoughts of all there is to do and all the pains and inadequacies you feel. Base your life on what you know to be true instead of basing it on those feelings. You do that by preaching to yourself with statements like, 'Arise, my soul, arise! Shake off your guilty fears! The bleeding sacrifice on my behalf appears! Before the throne my [savior] stands!'" (Luke Simmons, Thirsty Ground)

I know that God loves me. And if "he who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" (Romans 8:32) My feelings will change with circumstances, but the promises of God are constant. Instead of listening to myself, I need to be talking to myself. God calls me his own; from his arms my strength will come.

No comments: