Monday, January 09, 2006

Sola scriptura


I suppose it's about time to reveal the new themed day that I have been promising. Starting next week, Monday will be joke day. The criteria for the jokes is that I have to have laughed out loud after reading them. Since Monday is usually the worst day of the week, I'm hoping that this will improve Monday's reputation. We'll see.

Today's thought is a little melancholy. Last night as Jame and I were sitting in church I began thinking about what I wanted out of a church. At one time, Oneplace seemed to fill that desire. But now, I'm not so sure. I want a church that has great people who are madly in love with the God of the universe and loving towards each other. Oneplace seems to have plenty of those. I want a church that has a great and amazing worship time where people joyfully and intentionally praise and worship the God of the universe. Oneplace does an amazing job of that. I also want a church that preaches about God from the Bible, where the Bible is at least one of the main texts used in the service. There was a time when Oneplace did that. But the past couple of times have not been that way and there doesn't seem to be hope for the immediate future. The pastor has good, relevant things to say. But I want to hear him talk about the Bible. I want to hear his opinions but not so much so that they outweigh the impact of the scripture.

So the question becomes, at what point do I say this is not the place for me and it's time to begin looking for a new church home? I don't know. It's not that I dislike the church. But with all the pouring out of myself that I have done and will do this semester, I need a place that will pour into me. If the law of the Lord is truly my heart's delight, then I want the church to be able to help me delight in it. I'm not sure what the answer is right now, but I crave your prayers for wisdom.

No comments: