Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The beginning of the beginning of the rest of our lives

Okay, so here's how the engagement thing went down. On Saturday, October 15th, Jamie and I went back home to visit our folks. We stopped at her house first and talked with her mom for a while before heading over to my house. Same thing. We hung out and talked to my folks for a little while. Around 3:30, I dropped Jame back off at her house and then I went back home to get started with the set up.

When my grandma arrived, we took everything over to the school and began to haul everything up the roof. This was very difficult. Most of the stuff was pretty heavy and the only way up was a tall ladder. We got everything up on the roof around 5 and then we left for AJ's to pick up some food. After we got the food, we brought that up to the roof too and then I left my mum and grandma to finish setting everything up while I went and got Jamie.

The whole afternoon my heart had been constantly racing, and it only got faster as I drove to her house. It's amazing she didn't know anything was up. We got back to my house around 6:30 and I suggested that we take a little walk. The sun had just gone down, so there was still some light left in sky. When I suggested that we go up to the roof of the school to look at the night sky, she quickly agreed. It took all of my effort to not run over there but to rather walk calmly and patiently.

When we got to the school, we found one of the gates open (imagine that) and then started to make our way over to the cafeteria. We saw a light on in the cafeteria so we paused to see if anybody was there. Just then, we saw my grandma through the window. Since Jame thought we were sneaking in, I pretended that we needed to leave because we didn't want anyone to know we were there. I made some comment about how it seemed weird that my grandma would be working so late on a Saturday night (My grandma does indeed work at the school so it wasn't too weird to see her working, it was just that it was late). I suggested that we keep walking around the neighborhood a little more and then come back and try again. Maybe my grandma was about to leave.

When we came back the second time, the lights were off and Grandma was gone. So we crept through the darkness to the cafeteria door, which had also been conveniently left unlocked. Once inside, we made our way to the ladder up to the roof and climbed up...

(More to come later on today I hope, but maybe tomorrow)

No comments: