Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Even All-State winners need help from the Big Guy

Volleyball season starts tonight for intramurals. I was a late pick-up for the team that I am on, but boy are they glad to have me. Does anyone else remember when the high school volleyball team that I captained took third place in the tournament? I do. (If anyone brings up the fact that there were only three teams in the league, you will be in a lot of trouble. That isn't an important detail.) I don't really know who all is on my team except for Jamie, but between the two of us, we bring a lot of experience to the squad. I'm predicting another fantastic, mind-blowing season.

On a more somber note, I had to sit and talk with one of my guys about some bad stuff that he had been doing. That was really scary for me. I tried to get a hold of him all day just so I could get it out of the way. Every time before I would go down to his room, I would pray a desperate prayer to God first because I know how insufficient I am. After praying, I would feel enough courage to go down and knock on the door. Five times that afternoon he wasn't home. The suspense was killing me. I finally ran into him at 9:30 last night. I was so nervous, I'm pretty sure I was shaking. I hate to confront people. We talked for about 20 minutes. God gave me strength and a conviction behind my words that I didn't think was possible. I think I was able to draw a hard line with him and yet still reassure him that I still love him because God wants me to and he's in my hall and that I will continue to pray for him. A lot of his excuses were pretty funny and I actually had to fight to not laugh at what he saying.

So God really came through for me last night. Again. He still hasn't failed me. Ever. When will I ever learn? Maybe I will ponder that as I ride the pine tonight during our volleyball game...

No comments: